duminică, 13 februarie 2011

See What You Can Be...

This past week has been Red Ribbon Week. For those of you who aren't familiar with the week-long event, each day has a different anti-drug theme. For example, the first day is "Put a Cap on Drugs" and everyone wears hats. Red Ribbon Week is always on/around Halloween. This year's theme was "See What You Can Be When You Stay Drug Free." Students were to dress up as what they wanted to be when they grow up.

Personally, I forgot that today we were supposed to dress up as anything. When I arrived at school on this rainy, dreery Halloween, I noticed a half a dozen junior high kids in fatigues/BDU's/whatever you want to call them. One kid was wearing a Kevlar helmet.

Anyway, my point being, out of all the kids that dressed up--which were few, I must admit--the majority were soldiers. I thought that was great. I was even surprised at the little girls I saw dressed as soldiers. Granted, here on the outskirts of Fort Lost in the Woods, a lot of these little girls' mothers are soldiers, but I still thought it was really neat...

That's truly being all that you can be.

While the little kids at my school were wearing daddy's old beret to school, the Pathetic Pinkos are out doing what they have labeled "counter recruitment." Take a look. They are saying they are against the "militarization" of our youth. I would like to know how they think it is POSSIBLE for them to do what they do! It is because there are still "a few good men" (and women!) who are willing to fight for the freedom of those who mock them.

I am proud to say that no recruiter had to beg me or convince me to sign on the dotted line. In fact, I don't even consider myself to be "recruited." I called the recruiter, I went in, I signed the paper, I chose to do so. He didn't convince me of ANYTHING. I know I am not alone in this. There are undoubtedly thousands of other teens and even those older than us who have signed up to fight for our country. I didn't do it for college money, for travel, even for my future political career... I did it because I love America and want to fight for and defend my country.

This youth is proud to be "militarized" and I will be writing the Code Pinks a little letter informing them of such...